Tuesday 12 February 2013

Concept #3- "10 Minutes" Short Film

Having just watched the short film "10 Minutes", the meaning I personally negotiated into the media was how different peoples lives are and how much of a difference 10 minutes can make depending on the life you live. The first man was concerned that his pictures would not be developed in 10 minutes, and that he would be late to meet his family. He was on vacation and just wanted to relax. The store owner assured him that his photos would be ready on time. Meanwhile, the man kicked back and had a cigarette while he waited. The audience was then transferred to a different story line featuring a young boy named Memo who lived in some sort of country that was in war. Memo lived in a terrible apartment building with the rest of his family. His mother sent him to get water, and in this short time period Memo talked to soldiers, got cigarettes and escaped a bombing that was going on in a near by field. With Memo being so young, it was very sad to see him having to go through such extreme conditions just to get water; a necessity that is so easily accessed to people like you and me. By the end of Memo's story, I felt emotionally attached to him and his family and immediately grieved for them. The audience is then transferred back to the man receiving his family photos just on time. Both of these stories were only ten minutes, but were completely different. The lesson I took away from this film was to treasure each moment and not get annoyed as easily by the simple things in life, like the man who was waiting for his photos. Based on the life I live in Canada, a country that is free and is not the site of a war, I think no matter what I am going through, many people will have it worse than I do and it is important to not get caught up in things that do not matter. Next time I am simply turning on the tap to get a glass of water, I will think of Memo and his struggles just to do this exact same thing, and consider how lucky I am to live in a country where I don't have to worry about survival, wars, and violence as part of my everyday life. 

No comments:

Post a Comment